In a proactive initiative aimed at enhancing online safety education, an expert meeting gathered 26 IT teachers from primary schools in Međimurje County on January 30, 2024. The event took place at the First Primary School Čakovec and proved to be a significant step forward in preparing students to navigate the digital world safely and responsibly.
The meeting featured a keynote lecture by Ivana Ružić, an IT teacher at First Primary School Čakovec and proactive member of SPADATAS team. She shared valuable insights on teaching students to behave securely and responsibly in the online realm. Her presentation touched on various crucial aspects, including:
- Copyright Education: Teachers learned how to effectively convey the importance of respecting copyright to their students.
- Cyberbullying Awareness: Recognizing cyberbullying, appropriate actions to take, and methods for self-protection were discussed in depth.
- Countering Hate Speech: Strategies for teaching students about hate speech, its prevention, and responsible ways to counter it were addressed.
- Safe Personal Data Handling: Teachers gained knowledge on how to educate students about the safekeeping of personal data.
- Password Security: Creating and maintaining secure passwords were explored to ensure students’ online accounts are protected.
Following the lecture, participating teachers, including Ivana Ružić, actively engaged in designing teaching manuals tailored to students’ needs. These manuals will serve as valuable resources for educating students on the aforementioned topics, reinforcing the importance of online safety.
Additionally, the expert meeting provided a platform for teachers to exchange examples of good pedagogical practices. This collaborative approach is expected to further enhance the quality of online safety education in Međimurje County.
The event underscored the dedication of IT teachers in Međimurje County to empower their students with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive safely and responsibly in the digital age. Such initiatives contribute significantly to building a secure and educated digital community.